Club de Curling Lennoxville Curling Club

Lennoxville (Sherbrooke) Québec

 

 

Condensed History of the Lennoxville Curling Club and

Lennoxville Ladies Curling Club

On April 23, 1923, 30 prominent men of Lennoxville meet at the Lennoxville Town Hall to form the Lennoxville Curling Association. This Association was headed by Henry W. S. Downs who acted as the chairman for the election of officers for the new club. Robert McMurray was elected the President while William H. Ames became the Vice-President.
 
The Curling Association sold 300 shares at 10 dollars each to finance the purchasing of the land and building the rink with the balance borrowed for a total of $4000 for the project.  The annual “dues” was set at ten dollars per member.
 
The Lennoxville Curling Club was opened for play on January 5, 1924. The early curling was done on natural ice using “irons” weighing about 60 lbs instead of the 42 lb granites on artificial ice used today.
Granite and “Iron” play was a regular feature at the club until 1952 when it was decided that all competitions and games were to be played with granites. Before the artificial plant was installed in 1947, curling started in January and ended in mid-March with ice conditions being very chancy during the winter thaw periods.
 
On December 11th, 1931, 13 ladies met in the Institute Rooms at the Town Hall to discuss the formation of the Lennoxville Ladies Curling Club. Mrs. Gertrude Forbes was elected the first President and Mrs. T. Burton, Vice-Presi­dent. The ladies started play with 25 pound irons and gradually moved to some granite play by 1935.
 
Lennoxville Curling Club acquired its first set of granites in 1932 by winning the Edinburgh Trophy sponsored by the Canadian Branch of the Royal Caledonia Curling Club . Lennoxville has known its fair share of success at other Branch competitions including; wins for the Governor General’s Trophy in 1957, 1959 and 2002, a long successful defense of the Quebec Challenge Cup from 1957 to 1961, and Lennoxville teams have shown success at the Jubilee and the Gordon Medal.
 
In 1933, the Nichol family presented the club with the “John Nichol Memorial Trophy” to be played for annually with granites – not irons. This bonspiel has grown over the years to be the club’s premier championship event and is thought of as one of the District’s leading men’s competition.
 
In 1969, Wyatt Johnson and Lennox Loach donated two trophies for the first Ladies Invitational Bonspiel know as the “Mardi Gras”. This has become an annual event in the calendar of District competitions.

In 2005, the Lennoxville Curling Club and the Lennoxville Ladies Curling Club merged into one club to form the Lennoxville Curling Club.

The Lennoxville Curling Club has hosted many significant events including:
Senior Ladies Provincial playdowns (1968)
Ladies Provincial playdowns (1973)
Senior Men’s Provincial playdowns (1975, 1988)
Army/Navy/Airforce National Championship (1995)
Provincial Junior Men’s and Ladies Championship (1998)
Legion Provincial Championship (1981, 1991, 2010)
Provincial Masters Championship (2011, 2015)
Strathcona Cup – Scottish Tour (2005, 2013)

 

L' histoire abrégée du Club de Curling Lennoxville et

Club de Curling Féminin de Lennoxville

Le 23 avril 1923, 30 hommes d’affaires de Lennoxville se sont rencontrés à l’hôtel de ville pour former l’Association de curling de Lennoxville.  Cette association avait à sa tête monsieur Henry W.S. Downs, qui a présidé à l’époque l’élection des officiers pour le nouveau club :  Ont été élus M. Robert McMurray, Président, et M. William H. Ames, vice-président.
 
Pour financer l’achat du terrain et la construction de la glace, l’association de curling de Lennoxville a vendu 300 participations à $10.00 chacune, et a contracté un emprunt pour la balance, afin de réaliser le projet au coût total de $4000.00.  La cotisation annuelle de l’époque était de 10.00$ par membre.
 
Le club de curling Lennoxville a donc ouvert officiellement  ses portes le 5 janvier 1924.  Dans les premières années, on jouait sur de la glace naturelle avec des ‘fers’ pesant autour de 60 livres, plutôt que les 42 livres des pierres granites qu’on utilise sur la surface artificielle de nos jours.  Les 2 types de pierres (en fer ou en granite) ont été utilisés régulièrement au club jusqu’en 1952, alors que la décision est prise d’utiliser que des pierres de granite dans le futur.  Avant l’installation de la glace artificielle en 1947, le curling commençait seulement en janvier et finissait en mi-mars.  Les conditions des glaces demeuraient très changeantes selon les conditions météo et pendant les périodes de dégel.
 
Le 11 décembre 1931, 13 femmes se sont rencontrées dans les salles d’Instituts de l’Hôtel de Ville pour discuter de la formation du Club de Curling féminin de Lennoxville.  Mme. Gertrude Forbes est élue la première présidente et Mme. T. Burton, vice-présidente.  Les femmes ont commencé à jouer avec des ‘fers’ de 25 livres et graduellement ont transféré vers les pierres de granites en 1935.
 
Le club de curling Lennoxvillle a acquis les premières pierres de granite en 1932 en gagnant le trophée ‘Edinburg’ commandité par la branche Canadienne du club de curling ‘Royal Calendonia’.  Lennoxville a connu plusieurs succès à d’autres compétitions commanditées par la branche Canadienne.  Parmi celles-ci, le club a été  gagnant du trophée du gouverneur général en 1957,1959, et 2002; il y a eu une longue période gagnante de la coupe ‘Challenge’ de 1957 à 1961; et des équipes de Lennoxville ont eu des succès au Jubilée et la médaille Gordon.
 
En 1933, la famille Nichol a présenté le trophée ‘John Nichol Memorial’  pour un tournoi joué chaque année avec des pierres granites (et non des ‘fers’.  Ce tournoi s’est épanoui au cours des années pour devenir le tournoi le plus important du club et il est considéré un des tournoi masculin le plus reconnu dans la region. 
 
En 1969, Messieurs Wyatt Johnson et Lennox Loach ont commandité deux trophées pour le premier tournoi féminin reconnu comme le ‘Mardi Gras’, qui est devenu un évènement annuel du calendrier régional, tournoi encore présent de nos jours.
 
Le club de curling Lennoxville a tenu plusieurs évènements significatifs incluant:
Championnat provincial féminin senior (1968)
Championnat provincial féminin (1973)
Championnat provincial masculin senior (1975, 1988)
Championnat Canadien <<Army/Navy/Airforce>> (1995)
Championnats provincial masculin et féminin junior (1998)
Championnat provincial de la Légion (1981, 1991, 2010)
Championnat provincial féminin des maîtres (2011, 2015)
Strathcona Cup – Scottish Tour (2005, 2013)
.

 

 
icon1 icon2 icon3

 

6 rue Speid Street

Sherbrooke (Lennoxville), Québec

J1M 1R6

819-562-2310